(KLTV/KTRE) - Shalene McNeill is with us today from The Texas Beef Council to share her recipe for steak that you'll want to try this weekend...and it will probably become a family favorite!
Molasses and pepper-crusted steak
• 4 flat iron, top sirloin, tenderloin or strip steaks
• 1/2 cup molasses
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
• 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Whisk together last eight ingredients and pour into zip-top bag containing steaks. Seal tightly and flip a few times to evenly distribute marinade. Set in refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes – 2 hours, flipping bag occasionally.
2. Preheat gas or charcoal grill to 400°F.
3. Remove meat and discard marinade. Season with salt and more pepper to taste.
4. Place steaks on oiled grates and grill for approximately 7 – 9 minutes on one side, or until moisture starts to pool on the top and beef releases easily from grates with tongs. Flip once, grilling on the other side for 6 – 8 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135°F with meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of steak.
5. Transfer steaks to platter and let rest for 5 – 10 minutes before slicing against the grain.