EAST TEXAS (KLTV) - A scrumptious way to enjoy eggs benedict, not just one, but four different ways!
Eggs Benedict panini by 4-Way Cafe in Flint
* 4 slices of sourdough bread (or preferred bread)
* 16 slices of ham (or sausage)
* 8 eggs
* 1 bag of baby spinach
* Hollandaise sauce – see recipe
* Dash of vinegar
* Dash of salt
1. Toast the bread gold brown on both sides – set aside
2. Sear the ham, or other breakfast meat, thoroughly on both sides. At the same time, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add vinegar and salt.
3. Poach Eggs: Crack the eggs and drop them slowly into the boiling water, one at a time. The eggs will begin to cook immediately. Depending on the pan, a really soft poached egg should take about 2 minutes, and a soft to firm one will need around 4 minutes. Once you are satisfied with the length of time that the eggs cooked.
4. Add the seared ham to the bread
5. Then add 2 of the poached eggs
6. Saute and season (salt and pepper) the baby spinach lightly
7. Add the spinach on top of the eggs
8. Finish the benedict with some Hollandaise sauce
* 4 egg yolks
* 1 TBS of fresh squeezed lemon
* ½ cup of unsalted butter
* Pinch of cayenne
* Pinch of salt
Vigorously whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl and until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume. Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume. Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne and salt. Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use for the eggs benedict. If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.