A severe storm can leave many problems in its wake. The media is usually filled with stories of people who are injured after a storm passes. Don't become a statistic.
Do not drive through flooded roads. Water may be deeper than it appears. Twenty-four of the 52 deaths attributed to Hurricane Floyd in 1999 occurred when motorists attempted to navigate flooded roads. An additional nine Floyd-related deaths occurred in other motor vehicle accidents.
In the event of rising flood water, children and adults who are not strong swimmers should wear U.S. Coast Guard approved life jackets--personal flotation devices (PFDs)--whenever they are in or around the water. Everyone, including strong swimmers, should wear a Coast Guard approved PFD when in a boat used for rescue or escape. Select the PFD for the person's weight and size (printed on the label).
For workers, NIOSH recommends that they avoid working alone and wear a Coast Guard approved life jacket when working in or near flood waters.
Do not allow them to play in or explore damaged or flooded areas. Keep chemicals used for cleaning and disinfecting, fuel for generators, and pest-control substances out of reach of children.
This will reduce the chances of mosquito bites and to reduce risk of mosquito-borne illnesses such as West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis. Stinging caterpillars and insects such as bees and wasps can become very aggressive after a storm. Survey the area before beginning cleanup and use a commercially available pesticide if needed.
Poisonous snakes may also seek shelter in flooded homes; take precautions to avoid snakebites. Seek medical help if attacked by large numbers of insects, as reactions can be severe.
Chain saws are particularly dangerous; get proper safety training before using one. Inexperienced individuals are routinely injured when using chain saws in post-storm cleanup. Falls are common; use safety equipment and get trained help with large or difficult jobs. Don't take chances.
If the electrical power to your home is off and you cook on a charcoal or gas grill, this odorless, colorless gas produced by combustion, carbon monoxide can be deadly. Use a grill only in an open, well-ventilated area, never inside the house, and keep it away from flammable materials. The exhaust fumes from gasoline-powered generators are another source of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Make sure the area is well-ventilated, dry and preferably covered. Generators also pose electrical hazards. Do not connect the generator to your home's electrical system. Instead, connect appliances directly to the generator with properly sized polarized extension cords.
Do not overload the generator or the cords, and place the cords where no one will trip over them. Be sure the generator is properly grounded (follow the manufacturer's directions).
Before refueling, let the engine cool for at least two minutes to prevent fires. Store extra fuel in a safe, dry area.
Before entering the building, check for structural damage to be sure there is no danger of collapse. Turn off any outside gas lines at the meter or tank and let the house air for a few minutes. Even if the electricity is off in the neighborhood, make sure the electrical power is turned off at the main breaker or fuse box.
If you must enter the house at night, use a battery-operated flashlight, never an open flame as a light source, and do not smoke. If the house has been flooded, electrical wires and appliances will have to be cleaned and throughly dried, inside and outside, before they can be safely used again. Contact your electrical power company, the Mississippi Cooperative Extension Service, or a professional electrician for advice.