EAST TEXAS (KLTV) - If you are looking for a wonderful way to use fall sweet potatoes in something other than a pie or casserole, this is the idea for you! Featuring end of the summer zucchini, as well as local sweet potatoes, with bacon and eggs added for good measure, your family will love this breakfast!
Breakfast sweet potato skillet hash
2 medium sweet potatoes, diced (about four cups)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large zucchini, diced
6 to 8 ounces of bacon, chopped and pan fried, drippings reserved
5 or 6 eggs
1. In a large 10 to 12 inch skillet, pan fry the bacon over medium-low heat.
2. When bacon is crisp, add the diced sweet potatoes to the skillet. If they're raw, cook for 10 minutes, or until tender, adding olive oil if the pan gets dry.
3. Add the onion and zucchini, and allow to get tender. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
4. When all vegetables are tender and the salt level is to your liking.
5. Smooth out the top of the hash, then make "wells" or indentions in it, enough for each egg. Crack the eggs into the indentions, and then salt and pepper each one.
6. Bake at 400 degrees until the eggs reach your preferred level of doneness, 9 to 11 minutes.