Easy chicken Parmesan chicken bake
3-4 chicken breasts, pounded to flatten to about 1/2" thickness. (If you don't have a meat mallet, use the bottom of a small pan or metal bowl for pounding.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Jar of marinara sauce (about 24 ounces)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 to one cup shaved or shredded Parmesan
5-ounce package garlic croutons (in the salad aisle)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spread olive oil across the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
2. Place flattened chicken breasts (use as many as you can fit in the pan, if you desire) on top of oil. Sprinkle chicken generously with garlic powder. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Pour half of the marinara sauce over the chicken. Top with basil, half the Parmesan and half the mozzarella.
4. Spread croutons across the chicken.
5. Add remaining sauce, then remaining cheeses.
6. Bake for 30 minutes to one hour, but for many ovens, it will be closer to 35 or 40 minutes. (This will vary based on size of the chicken breasts.) To check for doneness, a thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken should read at least 160 degrees.