Are you looking for the best blush, the most luscious lipstick or the most sensational shampoo? It’s tough to choose from the seemingly endless barrage of new and improved beauty products?
Help has arrived! SELF Magazine conducted a nationwide test and readers' poll to help you save some money testing all the products yourself. Volunteers used more than 1,000 makeup, skin and hair products ---all introduced within the past year. The result…. a break down of the best in beauty!
Some lipsticks are too red. Eye Shadows are just too brown while a lotion may prove to be too greasy and some beauty products just cost too much for you.
Finding the right look in the sea of new hair and face products can me just maddening.
“There are too many products and it’s too confusing sometimes, but I would say I am more into color,” says Carol Cassity who lives in Hawkins and shops in Tyler.
Carol Cassity can relax now and so can you. Help is on the way.
SELF Magazine asked readers across the country to style, spray, rub and dab more than a thousand cosmetic, skin and hair products introduced within the past year to track down the best new buys.
SELF’s Elaine D’Farley says the winners run the gamut from high end specialty store goodies to drug store staples. “We have things that won that are $2 dollars and things that won that are $225 dollars.”
One product that proves expensive isn’t always better is Cover Girl. Their Outlast helps you put your best face forward. Outlast won Best Liquid Foundation.
Elaine D’Farley with SELF Magazine says “You put the primer on first, the foundation on second, so it goes on more smoothly.”
The best compact foundation goes to MAC for it’s Select Moisture Blend.
“A lot of companies are coming out with things that are called brighteners,” says D’Farley.
Now, if you want something to fade freckles and give you a radiant glow, readers picked Clarins Bright Plus as the brightest of all.
Jennifer Webb tested brighteners. “I never heard of skin brightening products before. And I used this and the next day my skin was instantly bright,” says Webb.
What goes into Heather Hughey’s make-up bag is all about the eyes and that perfect pout!
I am big into new eye shadows and keeping it on longer and then lipsticks. It’s a constant quest to find the best gloss because it’s either too glossy or your hair sticks to it and then you have make-up all over your face,” says Heather Hughey who lives and shops in Tyler.
If you’re looking to make your lips more kissable, DKNY Be Delicious Lip Gloss was the clear winner.
“As soon as I put it on, I knew it was the best one. Easily! Just because the smell and texture was so good,” says Jaydine Morgan who tested lip glosses.
Fashion-forward women like Valerie Asberry are trying for the perfect lip color.
“I’m one of those experimenters as far as lipstick. I put one lipstick on and then another on top of that and that’s how I come up with my color,” says Valerie Asberry who lives and shops in Tyler.
For more color, the top lipstick goes to Anna Sui Rouge. There were several winners for eye-popping eyes, but the best eye shadows go to Almay and Shiseido. For longer lashes, try Hourglass Fiction Defining Mascara.
“It went on smoothly and didn’t clump. It gave, ya know, long separated lashes,” says D’Farley.
When it comes to hair helpers, the best all-around shampoo is another drug store buy, Garnier Fructis. For color treated hair, the best conditioner goes to Paul Mitchell Color Protect.
“And that one is great because it made people’s hair look extra shiny,” says D’Farley. She also says from head to toe, the list brings you the readers’ choice of the best of the best, but that products can work differently on different people. So you can still have fun and hunt around for products that appeal to you.
PRICES OF PRODUCTS WE NAMED IN OUR REPORT:
Best Liquid Foundation: Cover Girl Outlast $9
Best Compact Foundation: MAC Select SPF 15 Moisture Blend $27
Best Face Brightener: Clarins Bright Plus $30
Best Lip Gloss: DKNY Be Delicious $16
Best Lipstick: Anna Sui Rouge $20
Best Eye Shadows:
* Almay Intense i-Color $7
* Shiseido The Makeup Hydro-Powder $21
Best Mascara: Hourglass Fiction $22
Best All-Around Shampoo: Garnier Fructis Long & Strong $4
Best Conditioner/ Color-Treated Hair: Paul Mitchell Color Protect $12
* Best Makeup Primer: Paula Dorf Perfect Primer
* Best Tinted Moisturizer: Revlon Age Defying Light Makeup with Botafirm
* Best Face Highlighter: Giorgio Armani Pearl Veil
* Best Liquid Foundation: Covergirl Outlast Liquid Makeup
* Best Compact Foundation: MAC Select SPF 15 MoistureBlend Foundation
* Best Pressed Powder: Prescriptives Virtual Matte Pressed Powder
* Best Loose Powder: Sonia Kashuk Barely There Loose Powder
* Best Concealer: Philosophy The Supernatural Airbrushed Color Corrector
* Best Treatment Concealer: Avon Beyond Color Radiant Lifting Concealer
* Best Powder Bronzer: Elizabeth Arden Color Intrigue Bronzing Powder Duo
* Best Powder Blush: Estée Lauder Tender Blush
* Best Cream Blush: Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge
* Best Powder Eyeshadow: Almay Intense i-Color Powder Shadow
* Best Cream Eyeshadow: Shiseido The Makeup Hydro-Powder Eye Shadow
* Best Lipstick: Anna Sui Sui Rouge
* Best Lip Gloss: DKNY Be Delicious Lip Gloss
* Best Brow Definer: YSL Duo Expert Sourcils Eyebrow Enhancer
* Best Eyeliner: Lorac Eye/Shadow Liner
* Best Mascara: Hourglass Fiction Defining Mascara
* Best Waterproof Mascara: Shu Uemura Length & Waterproof Mascara
* Best Normal-Skin Cleanser: St. Ives Apricot Radiance Moisture Rich Cleanser
* Best Normal-Skin Moisturizer: Olay Complete Multi-Radiance Daily Illuminating UV Lotion
* Best Oily-Skin Cleanser: Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Cleansing Pads
* Best Oily-Skin Moisturizer: DDF Daily Matte SPF 15
* Best Dry-Skin Cleanser: Kiss My Face Clean for a Day Creamy Face Cleanser
* Best Dry-Skin Moisturizer: Lancôme Aqua Fusion Cream
* Best Antiaging Cleanser: RoC Age Diminishing Facial Cleanser
* Best Antiaging Moisturizer: Chanel Précision Rectifiance Intense Cream
* Best Antiaging Treatment: Neutrogena Visibly Firm Lift Serum
* Best Sensitive Skin Treatment: Eucerin Redness Relief Tone Perfecting Creme
* Best Exfoliating Mask: Biotherm Pure Bright Exfoliating Brightening Mask
* Best Everyday Scrub: Dove Daily Exfoliating Cleanser
* Best M.D.-Style At-Home Treatment: Neutrogena Advanced Solutions At Home MicroDermabrasion System
* Best Moisturizing Mask: Prada Hydrating Mask/Face
* Best Spray Moisturizer: Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray
* Best Night Cream: American Beauty Beauty Boost Overnight Radiance Cream
* Best Eye Cream: Origins Night-A-Mins Mineral-Enriched Eye Cream
* Best Fine-Line Treatment: Awake Skin Renovation Firm Advantage
* Best Lip Balm: C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Shine
* Best Acne Treatment: B. Kamins, Chemist Medicated Acne Gel
* Best Face Brightener: Clarins Bright Plus Target Zone Brightening Corrector
* Best Bath Soak: Aroma-Sothys Relaxing Milk Bath
* Best Bar Soap: Perlier Olivarium Velvety Soap
* Best Body Wash: Bliss Vanilla + Bergamot Bubbling Bath + Shower Gel
* Best Body Scrub: Sephora Coffee & Cream Morning Body Scrub
* Best Body Moisturizer: Nivea Soft Moisturizing Crème
* Best Body Firmer: Vaseline Intensive Care Firming & Radiance Age-Defying Lotion
* Best Sunscreen: Shiseido Refreshing Sun Protection Spray SPF 16
* Best Self-Tanner: Coppertone Endless Summer Sunless Tanning Bronzing Foam
* Best Spray-On Bronzer: Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs
Hands and feet treats
* Best Hand Cream: Fruits & Passion Repairing-action Hand Butter with Carrot Extract
* Best Hand Treatment: Manicure by OPI Rejuvenating Serum
* Best Foot Moisturizer: Calgon Ahh...Spa! Intense Moisture Foot Cream
* Best Foot Treatment: Earth Therapeutics Tea Tree Oil Peel-Off Foot Mask
* Best Nail Treatment: Cutex Essential Care Growth Nail Treatment
* Best Nail Polish: Maybelline Express Finish Advanced Wear Fast-Dry Nail Enamel
* Best All-Around Shampoo: Garnier Fructis Long & Strong Fortifying Shampoo
* Best Leave-In Conditioner: Philip B. Lovin' Leave-in Conditioning Creme
* Best Deep Conditioner: Body Shop Brazil Nut Moisture Mask
* Best Hydrating Shampoo: Bumble and Bumble Treatment Dehydration Therapy Cleanser
* Best Hydrating Conditioner: Thermasilk Smooth & Silky Shampoo
* Best Shampoo for Curls: Paul Brown Hawaii Ringlets Curl Enhancing Shampoo
* Best Conditioner for Curls: TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Curly Hair Conditioner
* Best Straightening Shampoo: Suave Professionals Sleek
* Best Straightener: Redken Align 12 Ultra-Straight Balm
* Best Volumizing Shampoo: Umberto Beverly Hills V Volumizing Shampoo
* Best Volumizing Conditioner: Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing Clay Conditioner
* Best Volumizer: Alberto VO5 Whipped Volume Styling Mousse
* Best Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair: L'Oréal VIVE Hi-light Boosting Shampoo
* Best Conditioner for Color-Treated Hair: Paul Mitchell Color Protect Reconstructive Treatment
* Best Deep Treatment for Color-Treated Hair: Frédéric Fekkai Technician Color Care Mask
* Best Texturizer: Matrix WetTrix Shine Flood Gel
* Best Heat Styling Protector: Matrix Biolage Fortifying Heat Styler
* Best Hairspray: René Furterer Gentle Solution Soft Hold Styling Water
* Best Shine Product: Joico Silk Result Sheer Gloss
* Best Frizz Fighter: Pantene Pro-V Smoothing Comb-in Treatment
* Best Hair Repair Treatment: Warren-Tricomi Pure Strength Close
* Best Highlighting Kit: L'Oréal Hi-Light Stylist
Dana Dixion reporting: email@example.com