Recovering Deputy Recounts Early Moments Of Courthouse Shooting

Deputy Sherman Dollison rushed out of the Smith County Courthouse because, he says, that was his job. On the other end of the gunfire was David Arroyo, Sr., armed with a high-powered assault rifle.

Now, Dollison takes us through what was going through his mind back on February 24th, when he was shot four times and nearly died.

"I heard the first shot. I looked out the window, and saw him firing," he says.

Terror was in the faces of so many, but Deputy Sherman Dollison says he saw what was happening, and he just went to work.

"There wasn't a thought process like, 'I'm fixing to get shot.' The thought was that he's shooting at someone. And the way we're trained is to go out there and stop him," Dollison says.

David Arroyo, Sr. was firing dozens of rounds from an assault weapon. Dollison then ran into the battle.

"I remember seeing him. I remember firing at him. I remember the first shot, [then] everything went numb. I hit the ground. I don't know what went through my mind. I just found him and began firing again. I guess that's when he came back and hit me more and I don't remember anything else," he says.

Shot four times, Dollison's lungs, bladder, and intestines were punctured. His pelvis was shattered. When he arrived at ETMC, he had no apparent blood pressure.

Dr. Thomas McGovern, ETMC trauma surgeon: "Someone who comes in with this shock and four or five high velocity rounds that pass through his body, certainly could easily have died at the scene."

Now, Dollison's trying to regain his strength. In six months to a year, he hopes to be out on the streets in uniform again.

"Everyone calls me a hero. I'm not a hero. I was just doing my job. I did what I was trained to do," he says.

Sherman Dollison says prayers from many in East Texas have certainly helped in his recovery. He's now out of ETMC's inpatient rehabilitation center, though he returns three times a week for physical therapy.

 Morgan Palmer Reporting