Executive Chef Michael Brady of Fresh by Brookshire's is taking grits beyond basic and adding things like pulled pork, peppers and goat cheese to make them a meal worthy of your dinner guests
Pulled Pork, Roasted Poblano, queso de Chiva and Cilantro Arkansas Grits
4 Cup coarse ground grits
½ gallon whole milk
1 quart heavy cream
2 c water
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1. In a good solid soup pot bring all ingredients except for grits up to a steep.
2. Reduce heat and whip grits in till mixture begins to thicken (3-5 min).
3. Add a little salt and pepper to ensure that the grits take on some seasoning.
4. Leave on stove over pilot or place on a trivet if cooking on a French top and stir occasionally.
5. You want to let these War Eagle Mill grits bloom in a hot area (as hot as possible without burning the bottom which will scorch your grits pretty quick) for a solid 1 hour and a ½.
6. Ensure that you do a final seasoning before serving
This is a great base recipe for rich and creamy grits
From here you can add: sugar, chocolate, cinnamon or a drizzle of some great maple syrup for sweet grits or goat cheese, fresh thyme and sun dried tomatoes, or fold in some pulled pork or add your favorite fresh herb and wilt some fresh arugula.
In The Spirit of Living in Texas:
- 3 roasted and chopped poblanos
- 4-8 oz. good goat cheese
- Pulled pork
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, zest and juice
1. Mix really well before serving
2. If the grits are real seized up (thickened), just add a little stock, milk or cream while heating.
Copyright 2016 KLTV. All rights reserved.