(KLTV/KTRE) - Greens are so excellent during the cooler months, and using them in different ways will boost the flavor and nutrition of whatever you pair them with. Here's a recipe that will give you a new outlook on greens!
Rotini with greens and sausage
1 pound of rotini pasta
12 to 16 ounces of bulk (not link) Italian sausage
12 ounces of chopped greens: turnip, collard, or kale, washed, and stems removed if thick
1/2 cup onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1. Boil pasta according to package directions.
2. As pasta cooks, simmer the greens in 2 cups salted water until tender, 8-10 minutes.Drain and set aside.
3. Saute sausage and onion in large skillet over medium heat until sausage is browned and onion is translucent.
4. Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the sausage mixture, stirring in and allowing to warm for a minute.
5. Add drained pasta to the pan, followed by the greens. Toss to combine well.
6. Top each serving with a generous sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Copyright 2016 KLTV. All rights reserved.