Bread pudding with dark rum sauce
12 ounces stale white bread
1/4 cup raisins
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 cup milk
2 cups milk and/or coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1 stick butter
1/4 cup dark rum
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2. Combine rum and raisins in a small bowl; set aside.
3. Remove bread crusts, and then place in a food processor, blending them into crumbs.Save 3 tablespoons of this for this recipe.
4. Cube the bread and place in large bowl. Pour milks over the bread, and set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and spices.
6. Pour egg mixture over the bread. Pour raisins and rum in, as well.
7. Pour mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle with the 3 tablespoons of reserved bread crumbs.
8. Bake for 40 minutes.
Pour all sauce ingredients into a saucepan. Whisk well and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, boiling gently for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently. Pour over individual servings of bread pudding.