Family of murdered Upshur County woman speaks to killer in court - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News


Family of murdered Upshur County woman speaks to killer in court

Jonathan Ray Shepherd (Photo Source: Upshur County Jail) Jonathan Ray Shepherd (Photo Source: Upshur County Jail)
Cheyenne Green (Photo Source: Facebook) Cheyenne Green (Photo Source: Facebook)
UPSHUR COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - An Upshur County man has been convicted of capital murder in the death of a Gilmer woman.

Jonathan Shepherd, 32, was charged with one count of capital murder in the September 2013 shooting death of Cheyenne Green, who was the mother of his child. On Tuesday, he was sentenced to life without parole. The state did not seek the death penalty in Shepherd's case.

Prosecutors say Shepherd shot Green outside the Gilmer football stadium. At halftime, Green arrived to pick up her 3-year-old son. Shepherd, who was with his wife, left the game to go to the parking lot. Witnesses say that an argument occurred between the two regarding who had rights to the child.

Green's mother, cousin and brother all gave victim impact statements in court on Tuesday.

"Look at me, don't look at the ground. Face the fact. you killed her. You took her away from us. Someone we love dearly, we will never, ever, ever have again, until we get to Heaven, where she is," Green's mother said to Shepherd during her statement, gripping a picture of Cheyenne and her son, whose father is Jonathan Shepherd.

"There's a special place in hell, waiting on you," said Cheyenne's brother Cody, staring directly at Shepherd during his impact statement.

Dabbing tears from her face, Cheyenne's cousin Cassie Hutton told Shepherd, "One thing you'll never see is Trenton....until the day he asks you 'Why?'"

Hutton reminded Shepherd during her statement that she was wearing one of Cheyenne's purple shirts, and that purple represents domestic violence awareness. She looked at those in attendance, implying that they were wearing purple, as well.

"We know all too well what it stands for now," she said, in tears.

The jury deliberated about half an hour before delivering the verdict.

Copyright 2015 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly