Family Loses Home In Fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

1/10/05-Tyler

Family Loses Home In Fire

A pile of smoky, damaged clothes still sits in the front yard of 3010 King St in Tyler. They're all that's left after a fire early Saturday morning burned everything else.

"We all went to sleep and I guess it was about 5 o'clock in the morning I hear a loud noise, it was like 'poof' a loud noise and I heard my baby scream then I went into her room and it was already in a blaze then," Michelle Taylor said.

The flames started in a front bedroom. A space heater placed too close to a bed caused a blanket to catch fire. It was all the family could do to get themselves out of the house.

"It spread quick, in a matter of minutes. It went from one room to three rooms and we just stood outside and watched as it was completely destroyed," said Burrell Taylor.

The family lost clothes and household items, even pictures, most will never be replaced.

"Just the loss, the memories, the photos, just the loss is the hardest thing to deal with not having anything to call your own anymore... It's hard," said Burrell.

Michelle says the fire was just an accident.

"My daughter thinks it was her fault, I told her it could have happened to anybody, I told her it wasn't her fault but she's kind of shook up about it," Michelle said.

Through the ashes this family is choosing to remain positive.

"Our lives are more important and all this stuff can be replaced so I mean it's hard to do but everyone is safe and I'm just happy for that," said Burrell.

The family rented the home, but did not have renters insurance. If you would like to help you can make donations to the "People's Missionary Baptist Church in Tyler".

Chris Gibson, reporting
cgibson@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly