Happy Friday afternoon! We hope you're ready for a restful weekend.
Here are some stories for you to check out today:
1. Has kindness toward other human beings become so rare that it shocks people? Apparently, it seems this was the case yesterday when a grocery store clerk reached down, unasked, to tie an elderly customer's shoe for him. The clerk didn't think it was unusual, but thousands of others did; a man caught the act with his camera and said her got emotional when he saw it. "Just start being kind," the clerk reminds us. After a week of bank robberies and shootings in the news, we are happy to share his reminder.
2.Police have released the identity of the officer involved in the August 7 shooting death of a 23-year-old Longview man.Kristie Brian with the Longview Police Department says Johnny Lyons was the officer who shot Regan Marshall Wagner during a traffic stop near Akin Park in Longview. Lyons was not injured and has been placed on administrative leave while the Texas Rangers complete an investigation.
3. A barbecue restaurant employee in Utah accidentally mixed a cleaning product into a vat of tea, thinking the acid product was sugar. A woman has been hospitalized and cannot speak as a result. "It's a very touch and go situation with Jan Harding and there are no guarantees that she is going to survive,” an attorney says.
4. Police on Friday identified the officer who fatally shot an unarmed black teenager and released documents alleging the young man had been suspected of stealing a $48.99 box of cigars from a convenience store in a "strong-arm" robbery shortly before he was killed.Police Chief Thomas Jackson said the officer did not know the teen was a robbery suspect at the time of the shooting and stopped Michael Brown and a companion "because they were walking down the middle of the street blocking traffic."?
5. Police released surveillance photos of the three men who robbed a Tyler bank on Tuesday. A $25,000 dollar reward has been offered for the identity, arrest and conviction of the suspects responsible for the Austin Bank robbery at Shaw and Loop 323.
6. One of the four East Texas men charged in a 2013 motel murder reached a plea agreement today in court.
in the America Inn Motel in Tyler.
7. We hope you're ready to have some fun this weekend; stick around East Texas to do that while supporting local arts, music, food and business!
to get you started, from