Universal distances itself from 'Compton' casting - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Universal distances itself from 'Compton' casting

Posted: Updated:
  • NationalMore>>

  • NCAA settles head-injury suit, will change rules

    NCAA settles head-injury suit, will change rules

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:58 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:58:17 GMT
    The NCAA has agreed to settle a class-action head injury lawsuit by creating a $70 million fund to diagnose thousands of current and former college athletes to determine if they suffered brain trauma playing...More >>
    The NCAA agreed Tuesday to settle a class-action head-injury lawsuit by creating a $70 million fund to diagnose thousands of current and former college athletes to determine if they suffered brain trauma playing football,...More >>
  • Opponents, supporters to discuss clean air rules

    Opponents, supporters to discuss clean air rules

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:56 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:56:26 GMT
    Hundreds of people will tell the Environmental Protection Agency what they think of proposed rules to cut pollution from power plants during public hearings Tuesday and Wednesday in Denver.More >>
    Hundreds of people will tell the Environmental Protection Agency what they think of proposed rules to cut pollution from power plants during public hearings Tuesday and Wednesday in Denver.More >>
  • California wildfire claims 6 more homes

    California wildfire claims 6 more homes

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:20 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:20:42 GMT
    Most of the 1,200 people driven to evacuate by a Northern California wildfire that destroyed 13 homes have been told they can safely return after a series of steady gains in the firefight.More >>
    Fire officials say crews found six more homes destroyed by a Northern California wildfire that led to evacuation orders for about 1,200 people before it was brought under control.More >>
By SANDY COHEN
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Universal Pictures and the filmmakers behind the planned N.W.A. biopic are distancing themselves from an offensive casting announcement for the film.

The company said in a statement late Thursday that "the filmmakers ... did not approve and do not condone the information in this casting notice. We regret and sincerely apologize for being in any way associated with the offensive descriptions it contained."

Sande Alessi Casting posted an open call earlier this week that sought women in four categories. "A girls" were described as "the hottest of the hottest" and could be of any ethnicity. "B girls" were to be "light-skinned," whereas "D girls" were "African-American... Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone."

Gawker.com quoted the casting call in an article Thursday. The casting company has since removed the announcement from its Facebook page.

A woman who answered the phone at Sande Alessi Casting on Thursday declined comment and would not identify herself.

Universal has not said if it is still working with the casting company. The Sande Alessi Casting website shows it is still inviting African-American men and women to audition as extras for "Straight Outta Compton" at an open call later this month.

___

Follow AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen at www.twitter.com/APSandy .

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.