Lawn mower starts fire, burns down Smith Co. home - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Lawn mower starts fire, burns down Smith Co. home

Posted: Updated:
SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - A Smith County couple lost everything Saturday when a lawn mower in their carport sparked a fire. The fire happened at around 1 o'clock in eastern Smith County on CR 233.

Five fire departments responded to the fire. When crews got to the scene, the house was already up in flames. The husband says he just finished mowing the yard and was eating lunch when a passerby stopped and warned him about the fire.

"Probably 10 minutes had passed [after mowing the yard] and the lady came down the road in the car and she blew her horn and she said, 'Your garage is on fire,' and we came out and gosh the garage and lawnmower were fully engulfed," says homeowner Napoleon Square.

The fire marshal says a battery short in the lawn mower might have caught the grass on fire, which then caught the house on fire. No one was injured.

Copyright KLTV 2014. All rights reserved.
Powered by WorldNow

105 West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.