Firefighters had to break a hole in the roof to put out the fire. (Source: KLTV Staff)
LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) -
A family of five has been displaced by a house fire on Thursday in the 200 block of Betty Drive on Thursday.
Fire crews got the call just after noon. When they responded to the scene, flames and smoke could be seen coming out of the home. More units were called as a precaution in case someone was in the home.
Longview Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary said the fire was caused by an iron folded into a wall unit ironing board. The cord was plugged in outside the folding board, and after nine years of being folded up, the cord shorted out and started the fire.
The fire department broke a hole in the roof to gain access to the laundry room, where the fire started. The fire was contained shortly before 1 p.m. Thursday, causing damage to the laundry room and kitchen areas. The house was not a total loss, but the family will have to stay elsewhere until damage is repaired, Zackary said.
A person was issued a citation for driving over a fire hose while crews were working to put out the fire. That person could face a fine of up to $2,000.
Saturday, July 26 2014 2:09 PM EDT2014-07-26 18:09:07 GMT
A mysterious 'Woman in Black' has been spotted around the Tri-State in recent days, causing social media to erupt with questions about her identity. According to WATE in Tennessee, the Sullivan CountyMore >>
A mysterious 'Woman in Black' has been spotted around the Tri-State in recent days, causing social media to erupt with questions about her identity.More >>
A Terrebonne Parish man's homemade trap led to the arrest of his neighbor, police say. The incident happened on Bull Run Road in Schriever. The resident said that his shed had been burglarized while heMore >>
A Terrebonne Parish man's homemade trap led to the arrest of his neighbor, police say.More >>