Fire officials suspect space heater sparked blaze that destroyed - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Fire officials suspect space heater sparked blaze that destroyed Longview home

Posted: Updated:

The Longview Fire Department responded to a fire Wednesday evening on Dean Street.

Longview Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary says the call came in at about 7:12 p.m. He said that a family of five lived in the home, though only one person was home at the time of the fire. The man was asleep in the back of the home, smelled smoke, and was able to escape.

Firefighters arrived to find the front of the home showing heavy flames. They were able to rescue a dog and her litter of puppies, but two other dogs perished in the fire.

Fire officials believe a space heater that was too close to the couch may have started the fire. Fire detectors were present and functional, Zackary said. The home was a total loss.

Copyright 2014 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.