Friend and Co-Worker Remember East Texas Plane Crash Victim

An East Texan is one of the victims of Tuesday night's commuter plane crash in Missouri.
25-year-old Matthew Johnson of Longview, a photographer, was on his way to a convention when the plane crashed.
Thursday, a close family friend and a former co-worker of Matthew's said he had a passion for his work.
"I just feel like he had a lot of talent and he was going to go far," said Martha Rutherford.
Rutherford remembers the young man who was like a son to her and his passion for photography. "One day he came over and took some pictures that he needed for an assignment. I have one of those that I've had framed and I'll treasure it."
"(Photography) became a passion with him and he was very proud of the fact that he was beginning to have some interesting jobs in Dallas," said Rutherford. "This was one of them."
Matthew was flying to a job Tuesday evening when the plane he and 15 others were travelling in crashed as it attempted to land.
"He just had a special light in his eyes when he talked to us and he was always compassionate and polite and the perfect gentleman."
Martha Rutherford spoke to KLTV on behalf of Matthew's parents, who declined to be on camera but wanted East Texans to get to know the son they loved.
In a statement to KLTV, Matthew's father Terry said,"Matthew was a very caring, loving and compassionate young man that loved his work and his family."
Those feelings were echoed by his former co-worker Bob Ward of the Longview News Journal where Matthew worked as a sports clerk for two years.
"He was a great guy to work with," said Ward. "He was one of my favorites that I had as a part-timer."
Bob said Matthew showed a level or professionalism that exceeded his young age. "People like that stick out. He was just one of those that was very enthusiastic, really enjoyed his job and like I said probably wanted to learn more."
Funeral arrangements for Matthew Johnson are pending due to the crash investigation. Investigators have recovered the flight data recorder and the cockpit voice recorders. Those been flown to Washington D.C for further analysis.

Maya Golden reporting,