This soup will be ready so quickly your family will hardly have time to wash their hands and get to the table before it's ready.
Well, maybe it's not quite that quick, but it IS really an easy and fast one to put together, using ingredients that you can buy in your store's freezer case, some fresh veggies, and chicken broth. Simple!
Italian Meatball Soup
- 8-10 ounces frozen cooked meatballs (I used Italian-seasoned frozen, but you can use plain if that's what is available, or even make your own from scratch, if you prefer, and pre-cook them.)
- one cup chopped carrots
- one cup chopped celery
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 9-10 ounce package frozen or refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 quart (four cups) chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or substitute garlic powder)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 4 cups baby spinach - about three ounces (or substitute your favorite greens, but spinach cooks down most quickly)
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add celery and carrots, and saute for 3 minutes. Add the meatballs, and allow to saute with the vegetable mixture for about two more minutes.
- Add spices, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring to incorporate spices.
- Drop in the tortellini, and cook for 3-5 minutes. (The tortellini will rise to the top when it's ready.)
- Add the spinach, and allow to wilt for a minute or so in the hot broth (You may omit adding the greens, if you prefer, but I'd love you to get that flavor and nutrition in your soup!)
Serve, topping with parmesan and alongside some garlic bread.