Neighbors Save House From Fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

10/18/04-Smith County

Neighbors Save House From Fire

Some quick thinking by neighbors may have helped save a home in Southwest Smith County from fire Monday.

The fire broke out just before noon inside a home on Garnett Street in the Cedar Bay Subdivision near Lake Palestine. Investigators spent the afternoon sifting through the home. They believe a lamp inside the living room started the fire.

While the flames were put out quickly, most of the home was damaged by smoke. It was neighbors who kept things from getting bad.

"I beat on the door and I I couldn't get no answer," said neighbor Melissa Wigart. "I noticed the door was real hot and I kept hitting' it anyway and I noticed there was smoke coming from under the side of the air conditioner."

The neighbors put the fire out with the help of the Bullard Fire Department. No one was injured in the fire.

Chris Gibson, reporting
cgibson@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly