These savory grits are the perfect way to use any extra sweet potatoes that you have after Thanksgiving or Christmas. I personally eat them year-round, so I love this recipe and wanted to share with you today!
Savory Sweet potato-Gruyere Grits
- 1 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups mashed boiled sweet potatoes
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1. In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion, pepper flakes, and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent, 3-5 minutes.
2. Stir in broth and salt, and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Slowly whisk grits into boiling broth. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 40-45 minutes, stirring frequently. (don't allow to scorch)
3. Remove from heat and stir in cream, sweet potatoes, and cheese. Serve warm.