Ten escape from fire that likely started in water heater closet - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Ten escape from fire that likely started in water heater closet

Posted: Updated:
LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) -

The Longview Fire Department responded to a fire at Friday morning at 3:56. The call came from a residence at 213 Richardson Drive. 

When fire crews arrived on the scene, they say they saw heavy fire coming from the roof of the home. Upon investigation they found the fire originated in the area of the water heater closet, and spread up into the attic.

According to authorities, one of the home's occupants woke up shortly after the fire started, and spotted flames coming from the ceiling. Nine others who were asleep inside the home were alerted and managed to escape from the home without injury.

The fire department reports that the fire detector had been taken down to replace the batteries, and had not been replaced.

The fire caused about $20,000 in damages, the department says. Unfortunately, the homeowner was not insured. The American Red Cross responded and provided assistance to the six children, ranging in age from 1 to 12 years of age, and four adults who were at the residence.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

105 West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.