A house located on Idylwood Drive in Longview after it caught fire Monday
LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) -
Neighborsplayed an important role in saving the lives of the two Longview childrenburned earlier this week while playing indoors in an area next to some gasoline.
A gasoline fire torched the home, and neighbors heardchildren inside.
"Our primary concern was the safety ofthe children and was anybody hurt. Initial thought was I hoped nobody washarmed; a lot of children in there," says neighbor Marcus Carvalu.
The mother of one child saidgas was stored near a hot water heater and one of the kids got into it,spilling it on them. Then it ignited.
"He was over here when my mom ran toget him, and I got my nephew and I pushed him over there and my mom came out,running with Kelvin. That's when we saw his legs, they were burning," saysBrenda Magallon.
A neighbor made a frantic 911 call,saying there were flames and smoke coming out of the house, and heard someonecrying inside.
Neighbors saw what was happening; theycould see the billowing smoke coming from the home and could hear the childreninside, and at least one of them took action.
One neighbor tried to douse theflames with an extinguisher, while his girlfriend ran inside to get one of theburned children out.
"I thank the world for neighbors thatwatch out for each other," Carvalu says.
Fire officials say the 14 month-old-boy remains in critical condition at a Dallas hospital.
Child Protective Services isinvestigating the case.