Good afternoon! We hope you're having a productive day.
Here are your stories of interest today:
1. The nation's attention has been on the Capitol this afternoon, as authorities locked down the U.S. Capitol, Senate office buildings and House office buildings after a woman driving a black car tried to run through a barrier in front of a checkpoint near the White House. After exchanging words with police, the woman hit a police car and then her air bag deployed. She sped away and drove recklessly toward the Capitol building, hitting a security barrier near Second Street and Maryland Avenue. Unfortunately, the situation further escalated; the rest of the details here. The lockdown has now been lifted.
2. What happened today in Texas history? If you work in the oil business in any way, you may have heard of Dad Joiner. He's on our list today, as well as a Texas quote from a former President, and a Texas tune you might know.Here's the link to the whole list.
3. The Smith County Sheriff's Department is searching for a white male suspect who fled after a crash early this morning. This story involves a chase, crash and eventually the suspect fleeing into the woods.Read the details here.
4. It was the third ship of the night to head toward the tiny Italian island of Lampedusa packed to the brim with migrants seeking a better life in Europe. The first, filled with Syrians, arrived about 10 p.m. The second, carrying Eritreans, slipped in at 2 a.m.
6. The man who was killed in a Thursday morning ultralight aircraft crash has been identified as 49-year-old Dwayne "Dee" Hawkins of White Oak. KLTV's Laura Sadler was on the scene today and spoke with the man who saw the crash and attempted to revive the pilot, to no avail. He tells his story here, and Laura will tell you more tonight on East Texas News at 6.
7. A note to our friends in Cherokee County: if you were scheduled for jury selection on Tuesday, October 8 for the 2nd Judicial District Court, you need not appear, as it has been canceled. Details here.
Saturday, July 26 2014 2:09 PM EDT2014-07-26 18:09:07 GMT
A mysterious 'Woman in Black' has been spotted around the Tri-State in recent days, causing social media to erupt with questions about her identity. According to WATE in Tennessee, the Sullivan CountyMore >>
A mysterious 'Woman in Black' has been spotted around the Tri-State in recent days, causing social media to erupt with questions about her identity.More >>