Woman killed after car chase near Capitol - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Woman killed after car chase near Capitol

Police are responding to shots fired at the U.S. Capitol. (Source: CNN) Police are responding to shots fired at the U.S. Capitol. (Source: CNN)

WASHINGTON, DC (RNN) - A woman who was shot after trying to drive through a barrier and leading police on a high-speed chase near the White House has died, according to an official with the DC Metropolitan Police.

Authorities locked down the U.S. Capitol, Senate office buildings and House office buildings Thursday afternoon following the confrontation with a woman in a black Infiniti with Connecticut license plates.

The car was registered to Miriam Iris Carey, 34, according to multiple media outlets, including the Washington Post

Police are searching the suspect's home in Stamford, CT, and the Post reports police believe she was driving the car.

Carey was a dental hygienist who had family in Brooklyn, NY.

Idella Carey, Carey's mother, told ABC News her daughter began suffering from postpartum depression after having her daughter, Erica, last August. Her daughter had "no history of violence."

The suspect's mother said she had no idea why her daughter was in Washington DC.

Police fired on the woman and shot her after she crashed her car. CNN has reported there was also a child in the vehicle who was taken to a nearby hospital. The child was not believed to have been seriously injured.

"As of now, we know shots were fired in at least two locations," DC Police Chief Cathy Lanier said. "Secret Service and Capitol police fired weapons. [The] suspect has been pronounced [dead]."

The woman was trying to drive through a barrier in front of a check point near the White House, according to Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine.

After exchanging words with police, the woman hit a police car and injured an officer. She sped away and drove recklessly toward the Capitol building, hitting a security barrier near Second Street and Maryland Avenue.

"I personally spoke with the officer, and he's doing well," Dine said at a news conference Thursday evening. "He's a 23-year veteran of the Capitol Police."

Dine said it appeared the incident had no link to terrorism, though he would not release any information about the identity of the woman.

The lockdown has since been lifted, and Capitol police said the situation is "stabilized."

"We are now able to get outside our offices in the building and then outside of the [Capitol] building," said Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-TN. "We are continuing to work as we always work. We are incredibly concerned today, and of course, our thoughts and prayers go out to those that may have been injured and their families."

Initially, police scrambled in front of the west side of the building near the Senate Hart Building. CNN reporter Athena Jones reported hearing several shots.

Both the Senate and House of Representatives had gone into recess as a result.

Pennsylvania Avenue was  closed, and areas around the White House cleared out.

Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-VA, told the Washington Post he was standing on a balcony with Rep. Matt Cartwright when he heard two bursts of gunfire.

Luke Russert, a journalist for NBC, said on his Twitter account that when shots were initially fired, police told people to run and that a helicopter has just landed in front of the Capitol.

Alex Leary, a journalist, tweeted a photo of a police officer with a semiautomatic weapon on the Capitol steps.

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly