East Texan hospitalized after gas leak, residents still displaced
KILGORE, TX (KLTV) -
Several Gregg County residents are still unable to return to their homes after a gas leak Thursday night. Two homes near the gas leak were evacuated and one resident was taken to a local hospital for toxic gas exposure. She was later released.
The Kilgore Fire Department and Sabine Volunteer Fire Department responded to the report of a possible gas leak around 10:18 p.m at the Bateman Station near Dick Jones Road, just west of the Kilgore city limits.
Kilgore fire crews and the Texas Railroad Commission are on scene investigating how the vapors may have occurred.
"It wasn't a leak, but vapors were escaping and that's what kind of caused the situation last night and we called in an emergency environmental crew.
If you have a light product and you have a nice hot east Texas day that's when you're more prone to get vapors. We've essentially been monitoring the situation at this point and developing a plan to offload the material," says Gibson Energy spokesman Ralph Benson.
The homeowners are being put up in local hotels by Gibson Energy.
The conservation facility is locally contracted through Blueknight Energy Partners in Bullard. The location is owned by Gibson Energy.
The Environmental Protection Agency reports that this site has had no violations on its compliance report in the last three years.
Saturday, July 26 2014 2:09 PM EDT2014-07-26 18:09:07 GMT
A mysterious 'Woman in Black' has been spotted around the Tri-State in recent days, causing social media to erupt with questions about her identity. According to WATE in Tennessee, the Sullivan CountyMore >>
A mysterious 'Woman in Black' has been spotted around the Tri-State in recent days, causing social media to erupt with questions about her identity.More >>