Police: Baby hospitalized after eating grandma's meth - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Police: Baby hospitalized after eating grandma's meth

Marsha Stevens, 36 Marsha Stevens, 36

(KAIT) - A 10-month-old baby was airlifted to the Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock after police say she ingested meth belonging to her grandmother.

Just after midnight Wednesday Jonesboro police were called to the emergency room of a local hospital where doctors were treating the child. A doctor told Officer Joe Robinson the child had methamphetamine in its system.

According to the initial police report, hospital staff said the baby's eyes were open wide and she "could not stay still and was moving constantly and appeared to be very scared."

The child's mother, 20-year-old Courtney Stevens, told police her mother, 36-year-old Marsha Stevens, had put the child to bed around 9 o'clock Tuesday night.

Ten minutes later the baby began screaming.

Courtney Stevens went to comfort the child and found her vomiting. She then called 911.

When the ambulance arrived, Stevens said her mother handed her a plastic baggie that was "wet and appeared to have been chewed on". She told police she knew that Marsha Stevens uses methamphetamine, the report stated.

Courtney Stevens told police she herself did not use methamphetamine.

Robinson ran both women's names through dispatch and learned that Marsha Stevens "had several arrests for possession of methamphetamine" and was on active probation.

Officers went to the home, located in the 400-block of State Street, where they arrested Marsha Stevens for introducing a controlled substance to another's body, possession of drug paraphernalia and a probation hold. She was taken to the Craighead County Detention Center to await a probable cause hearing.

Courtney Stevens was issued a citation for endangering the welfare of a minor due to her "knowledge of her mother's continued drug use and knowledge of drugs in the residence" and because she "allowed her child to be an unsafe environment where there was a high risk of injury/death," the report stated.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Sheriff: Rusk Co. explosion caused by tannerite detonation

    Sheriff: Rusk Co. explosion caused by tannerite detonation

    Monday, February 19 2018 1:43 AM EST2018-02-19 06:43:57 GMT

    A loud boom heard in the Lakeport area Sunday evening was caused by an explosive, according to law enforcement.

    More >>

    A loud boom heard in the Lakeport area Sunday evening was caused by an explosive, according to law enforcement.

    More >>
  • School threat deemed a prank in East Texas

    School threat deemed a prank in East Texas

    Sunday, February 18 2018 11:25 PM EST2018-02-19 04:25:49 GMT
    An East Texas school district is informing the public that a prank was taken seriously enough to cause them to go to high-security measures. White Oak ISD officials say a picture was posted online Friday that threatened harm to the school system. District officials are not saying exactly what the picture was, but the threat was taken seriously enough to cause increased security measures at the schools. By mid-morning Saturday the district determined the threat was not a real threat...More >>
    An East Texas school district is informing the public that a prank was taken seriously enough to cause them to go to high-security measures. White Oak ISD officials say a picture was posted online Friday that threatened harm to the school system. District officials are not saying exactly what the picture was, but the threat was taken seriously enough to cause increased security measures at the schools. By mid-morning Saturday the district determined the threat was not a real threat...More >>
  • Fire Marshal is seeking the cause for General Dynamics fire

    Fire Marshal is seeking the cause for General Dynamics fire

    Sunday, February 18 2018 11:22 PM EST2018-02-19 04:22:29 GMT
    Four departments were called to a fire that lit up the sky in Kilgore. The fire started around 5:30 Saturday night at 'General Dynamics' in the 42-hundred block of Longview Street. The cause of the fire is still unknown, but according to investigators, one structure was a complete loss. Crews from 4 departments converged on the building on Saturday trying to isolate a building that was burning to keep it from jumping to other areas. "When the arriving units get there, they're ...More >>
    Four departments were called to a fire that lit up the sky in Kilgore. The fire started around 5:30 Saturday night at 'General Dynamics' in the 42-hundred block of Longview Street. The cause of the fire is still unknown, but according to investigators, one structure was a complete loss. Crews from 4 departments converged on the building on Saturday trying to isolate a building that was burning to keep it from jumping to other areas. "When the arriving units get there, they're ...More >>
Powered by Frankly