Carpenter 1 fire at 45 percent containment - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Carpenter 1 fire at 45 percent containment

A large plume of smoke from the Carpenter 1 wildfire rises over the Las Vegas Strip on July 10, 2013. (Source: Daryl Walls) A large plume of smoke from the Carpenter 1 wildfire rises over the Las Vegas Strip on July 10, 2013. (Source: Daryl Walls)
Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire engulf brush in the Spring Mountains. (Source: Inciweb.org) Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire engulf brush in the Spring Mountains. (Source: Inciweb.org)
Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire approach a road near Mt. Charleston on July 9, 2013. (Source: inciweb.org) Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire approach a road near Mt. Charleston on July 9, 2013. (Source: inciweb.org)
MT. CHARLESTON, NV (FOX5) -

There are hopeful signs concerning the Carpenter 1 fire on Mount Charleston heading into the weekend. 

A lightning strike started the blaze in the Carpenter Canyon area on the western side of the mountain July 1.

Currently, the fire has spread to 27,881 acres, roughly 43 square miles.

The blaze is 45 percent contained, according to officials.

More than 1,300 people are battling the blaze, according to inciweb.org, a website used to provide information about the fire.

Since the blaze started, more than 500 residents have been evacuated from Kyle, Lee and Trout canyons. Residents were being allowed inside the evacuation zone with an escort.

There are two shelters set up to assist evacuees, one at Hafen Elementary School in Pahrump, and the other at James Bilbray Elementary School in Las Vegas. The Southern Nevada chapter of the American Red Cross said they need donations to help fund their relief efforts.

So far, $13.16 million has been spent in an effort to contain the blaze.

Officials have closed the Spring Mountain Recreation Area. Several roads are also closed, including Lovell Canyon, Trout Canyon, Lovell Summit, Carpenter Canyon and Wallace Canyon roads at Highway 160. The Bristlecone, South Loop, North Loop and Griffith Park trails have also been closed.

Officials reopened Scenic Loop Drive on Thursday, but kept hiking trails off the roadway closed.

Officials said Monday they expect to have the fire contained by July 19.

A fire information hotline has been set up at 702-799-4610.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Police searching South Tyler for man who ran from police

    Police searching South Tyler for man who ran from police

    Thursday, March 30 2017 2:58 PM EDT2017-03-30 18:58:44 GMT

    Tyler police is currently assisting Sulphur Springs on the search for a man who ran from police

    More >>

    Tyler police is currently assisting Sulphur Springs on the search for a man who ran from police

    More >>
  • Marshall hires Claude Mathis as new Head Football Coach

    Marshall hires Claude Mathis as new Head Football Coach

    Thursday, March 30 2017 2:28 PM EDT2017-03-30 18:28:23 GMT
    SMU Football RB coach headed to MarshallSMU Football RB coach headed to Marshall

    This afternoon Marshall Independent School District approved Claude Mathis as the Mavericks' new head football coach, replacing Clint Harper who left to be the athletic director at Duncanville High School in February.   Mathis joins the Mavericks after two seasons as SMU’s running backs coach, but most recently became the program’s director of high school relations when former Gilmer coach Jeff Traylor was hired as the Pony's assistant head coach and r...

    More >>

    This afternoon Marshall Independent School District approved Claude Mathis as the Mavericks' new head football coach, replacing Clint Harper who left to be the athletic director at Duncanville High School in February.   Mathis joins the Mavericks after two seasons as SMU’s running backs coach, but most recently became the program’s director of high school relations when former Gilmer coach Jeff Traylor was hired as the Pony's assistant head coach and r...

    More >>
  • Lesson continues for man accused in burglary of Tyler teacher’s home

    Lesson continues for man accused in burglary of Tyler teacher’s home

    Thursday, March 30 2017 2:10 PM EDT2017-03-30 18:10:34 GMT

    Cedric Stewart has been charged with the burglary of a Jones Elementary teacher. His bond is now at $100,000. 

    More >>

    Cedric Stewart has been charged with the burglary of a Jones Elementary teacher. His bond is now at $100,000. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly