On Thursday night, the Longview Fire Department responded to four separate grass fires sparked by fireworks. Firefighters also responded to a fire started by improper disposal of coals.
No one was displaced and there was no extensive damage to property from any of the fires.
Longview fire officials remind the public that an effective way to make sure coals do not reignite, is to douse them with
plenty of water, and stirred to ensure that the fire is out. You can also let them sit in the grill with
the lid on, cutting all oxygen from the fire so that it smothers itself out.
They should never be placed in plastic, paper, dumped on the ground, or in
wooden containers before they are cool.
You can empty coals into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid that
is used only to collect coals. Place the
container away from anything that can burn.
Monday, September 1 2014 2:00 AM EDT2014-09-01 06:00:48 GMT
Severe thunderstorms across the Northeast have slowed operations at airports, wreaked havoc at outdoor sporting and musical events and sent people scurrying from a beach in New York after three men there were...More >>
Severe thunderstorms across the Northeast on Sunday slowed operations at airports, wreaked havoc at outdoor sporting and musical events in New York and Philadelphia and sent people scurrying from a beach after three men...More >>