Good afternoon, everyone. We hope you're having a splendid day.
Here is your daily dose of news from KLTV and KLTV.com to tide you over until we go live on East Texas News at 4, 5 and 6:
1. Affirmative action in college admissions survived Supreme Court review Monday in a consensus decision that avoided the difficult constitutional issues surrounding a challenge to the University of Texas admission plan. The high court ordered the appeals court to take another look at the case of Abigail Fisher, a white Texan who was not offered a spot at the university's flagship Austin campus in 2008.
2. Any idea how many calories are in that grande caramel Frappuccino?Starting Tuesday, Starbucks customers will know exactly how many calories are in their favorite drinks and snacks.
3. An Iowa man's online classified ad offering an oak coffin for sale neglected to mention the full skeleton inside, so police interrupted the deal and seized the bones. Click here for the rest of the strange details.
4. Are you hungry? Well, Grant Dade has a recipe that he shared on Cooking Up a Storm that you will definitely want to check out: Chipotle Glazed Ribs. They were falling off the bone tender and so delicious!
5. Texas Roadhouse is holding two fundraisers Monday to benefit an East Texas officer's family after he was killed in the line of duty. The restaurant is hosting a free lunch and eating challenge to raise money for the family of Texarkana, Texas Police Officer William Sprague.
6. Summer is the peak season for lightning-related deaths and injuries, though people are struck by lightning year-round. The National Weather Service provides a wide range of information about lightning, including these facts and tips. See which myths you should forget, and learn the tips you really need to be safe.
7. If you haven't heard of Rasberry crazy ants yet, you will. They're coming to a backyard near you. By the trillions. They've been dealing with them in Houston; read more here.
Here's the KLTV livestream link for those of you who'd like to join us at 4, 5, and 6 on KLTV.com.
We'll see you soon!