Tyler man burned while trying to save his home - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Electrical hazards likely to blame for Tyler house fire

Posted: Updated:
TYLER, TX (KLTV) -

A Tyler man was burned Friday night when he tried to put out a fire at his home. 

The fire started at around 8 o'clock in the 1500 block of Haynie Avenue, near Douglas Elementary School, in Tyler. 

Firefighters say the blaze started in a back bedroom and by the time someone called 911 for help, flames had already spread.

"They made a fast attack and went inside and made good progress, but very old wood frame structure and flames had already vented into the attic area and all the concealed spaces -- very difficult -- so it took 40 minutes to get control time," says James Suggs of the Tyler Fire Department. 

Investigators say items kept inside the home, like tires and a lawnmower, added fuel to that fire. 

They also believe the cause of the fire was likely something electrical inside the home. There were no working smoke detectors found inside the home.

The man who tried to put the fire out himself received first degree burns to his forearms but did not want to be taken to a hospital. 

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow

105 West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.