Early morning fire leaves ETX family and veteran homeless - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Early morning fire leaves ETX family and veteran homeless

Posted: Updated:
LINDALE, TX (KLTV) -

An East Texas family is homeless after an early morning fire.

The fire started around 1 a.m. Saturday in the 400 block of Stewart Street in Lindale.

Michael Hindley said he, his father, brother and a family friend were all home at the time of the fire.

Everything they were able to salvage from the rubble fits in the bed of Michael's pickup truck.

"Some clothes, some old photos, I wasn't able to save the ones of my mom"," Michael said.

He said his mother passed away of cancer in 2000, and although those photos are irreplaceable, he said he is thankful his family made it out alive.


Michael said his brother started to smell smoke and woke the family up. He said he ran through the living room to wake up his father and carry him to safety.

His father, James Hindley, is a Vietnam Veteran.

"Retired navy; I usually wear my cap," James explained.

He is not sure his cap made it through the fire, and he is not sure he would have either had it not been for his sons and God.

"I thank the Lord we were able to get out of the house. It's a scary moment, but it's something you're faced with and you got to go through it,"James said.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

105 West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.