A large fire burned a fraternity house at Miami University in Oxford early Saturday morning.
The fire struck the Fiji house at 130 East High Street around midnight, sending smoke and flames into the air.
The large home, which is over 100 years old, appears to be a total loss.
In addition to the Oxford fire department, fire crews were called in from many neighboring departments, including Hamilton, which sent three companies, and Morgan, Ross, Reily, St. Clair, Milford, and Hanover Townships, and the village of Seven Mile. The Butler County EMA office was also called in to assist.
Oxford's fire chief says 15 people were living in the house, but only two were home at the time the fire was reported. Both occupants got out safely.
Miami is currently on summer break.
The chief said the fire appeared to originate at the rear part of the house which includes the kitchen area. He said the massive size of the large building's wood and brick structures caused lots of heat to be retained, making it harder to fight the fire.
Fiji is the commonly used name for the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.
Thursday, September 11 2014 5:21 AM EDT2014-09-11 09:21:40 GMT
(WMC) - A Mid-South woman with a mystery illness is desperate for help that can keep her alive. WMC Action News 5 shared the story of Shanyna Isom in a special report in 2012; she grows fingernails throughMore >>
WMC Action News 5 shared the story of Shanyna Isom in a special report in 2012; she grows fingernails through the hair follicles in her skin. Two years later and the cost of a mystery illness continues to threaten her life.More >>