Good Wednesday afternoon, everyone! Here are some of the stories that are trending today in East Texas.
1. When Connecticut music teacher and avid runner Derek Waldron heard about the attack, he poured his feelings into a heartfelt and yet hopeful tribute to the victims. The song is called I Will Run and already has more than 3,500 views on YouTube. You can check it out and read the story here.
2. The Cass County Sheriff's Office and Texas Rangers are investigating the death of a mental patient at the Cass County Jail. Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe confirms that 50-year-old Beverly Dubal died on Monday, April 15, while in custody at the jail.
3. The Czech Republic plans to donate 4 million koruna (some $200,000) to help the Texas town of West recover from a devastating fertilizer plant explosion. The government decided to the provide aid in solidarity because a significant number of people in the town of 2,700 have Czech roots. The blast damaged numerous homes in the town.
4. Plans to question and charge the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing have been put on hold because of physical condition. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was listed in serious condition Friday evening and is in Beth-Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
5. SFA names new men's basketball coach. Read the details about the new guy here.
6. The United States appears to be in the throes of a prescription drug abuse crisis among teens, with a new survey showing that 24 percent of high school students -- more than 5 million kids -- have abused these medications.
7. Longview ISD is using new tools to protect students. The school district is about to ramp up school safety in a way that hasn't been done yet in public schools. The school district plans to launch a new program for the Fall 2013 school year.
Those are just a few of the things we're working on today; make sure to join us at 4, 5 and 6 on KLTV or on KLTV.com to watch our livestream.
You can also check out the weather page on KLTV.com to find out what's expected to happen this coming weekend.
We'll see you soon!
KLTV Web Producer