Susan G. Komen Tyler 2013 grants awarded

Susan G. Komen Tyler 2013 grants awarded

Susan G. Komen Tyler 2013 grants awarded

ETMC receives grant award


The Tyler Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure has awarded grants totaling $252,748 to East Texas non-profit organizations for breast health education, screening and services.

The grants review panel was comprised of local community members. The grants were awarded according to their applicability to the priority results of the community profile, a needs assessment conducted in 2011. The funds were raised at the 2012 Komen Tyler Race for the Cure®, Ride for the Cure® and individual contributions.  "These programs allow Susan G. Komen to reach thousands of women in East Texas. Our grantees are also our partners in breast health education and in carrying out our mission," says Jennifer Watkins, Executive Director.

Grantees are as follows:

 Northeast Texas Public Health District Breast Health and Screening  Initiative  awarded $229, 721
The purpose of this program is to allow access for all women to breast screening and diagnostic procedures, regardless of their ability to pay.  This program will provide clinical services for breast screenings and diagnostics for low-income, uninsured or underinsured women, at risk women, those under the age of 50 or those who are symptomatic and not eligible for diagnostic services.

East Texas Medical Center Breast Care Center Pin-A-Sister™  Program  awarded $7,400
The ETMC Breast Care Center program Pin-A-Sister™ Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign is considered a landmark means of raising breast cancer awareness and the importance of early detection among African-American women in Smith County. The program is a meaningful outreach designed to reduce disparities in access to screenings and treatment. Women pledge their commitment, in a church service or other ceremony, to early breast cancer detection by pinning each other with the Pin-A-Sister lapel pin.

 American Cancer Society Reach to Recovery and Transportation Program awarded $15,627
The American Cancer Society will provide transportation services to breast cancer survivors. This includes gas cards, Road to Recovery volunteer drivers and cab vouchers. Smith County has active Reach to Recovery volunteers who visit newly diagnosed breast cancer patients to offer recovery supplies (breast prostheses, wigs and recovery bras), information and support.

Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Komen Tyler Affiliate stay in Smith County.  The remaining 25 percent goes to the national Susan G. Komen For the Cure grants program for energizing science to find a cure. Komen's research investments have helped reduce breast cancer death rates by 30 percent in 20 years.

The 15th Anniversary Tyler Race for the Cure will be held on Saturday, May 11.  Visit to register or to find other information about the 2013 Race.