Reshad Riddle in court for shooting his father Richard Riddle -, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Man faces charges for killing dad at church

Posted: Updated:
Scene Sunday after shooting Scene Sunday after shooting
Reshad Riddle (SOURCE: Facebook page) Reshad Riddle (SOURCE: Facebook page)
Reshad Riddle 2009 mug shot (SOURCE: Ashtabula Police) Reshad Riddle 2009 mug shot (SOURCE: Ashtabula Police)
Riddle in court Monday Riddle in court Monday

Ashtabula Police have identified the suspect and victim from Sunday's church shooting at the Hiawatha Church of God and Christ in Ashtabula.

The incident happened around 1:15 p.m. outside the church.

According to police, Reshad Riddle waited for his father, Richard Riddle to exit the church after services were over Sunday before shooting him in the head.

Richard Riddle's mother witnessed the shooting although most of the congregation was still inside the church.

The church was packed because of the Easter holiday.

The pastor told 19 Action News that after the shooting, Reshad then went into the church and sat down.  An assistant pastor at the church quotes Reshad as saying, "The will of Allah, this is the will of God."

About 150 members and visitors were reportedly chaotically trying to figure out an alternate way to exit the building to avoid the shooter.

"He came in the church holdin' the gun up in the air like this walkin' up to the front of the church and everybody started hollering get down get down get down and everybody got down under the benches," said witness Michael Wofford.

No other people were injured.

Police say Reshad still had the gun in his hands when they arrived to deal with the situation and he was told to put down his weapon. 

Reshad appeared in court Monday afternoon on April 1st on a charge of aggravated murder and was bound over to the county grand jury.

"By who's laws have I broken?"  Those were the words of Reshad Riddle as he stood before a judge for the shooting death of his father.

He didn't enter a plea and was assigned a lawyer.  The judge said they'd hold another hearing after he had talked to his lawyer.

His bond was set at $1 million. 

The death shot created fear and panic among worshippers like Michael Wofford.

"He came in the church holdin the gun up in the air like this walkin up to the front of the church and everybody started hollering get down get down get down and everybody got down under the benches."

Wofford came back to the church for healing, he is haunted by what he saw. Church elders are concerned about the healing process.  They'll use psychology, and theology.

Reshad attended here as a boy but fell away from the church, and had trouble with drugs, violence and the law according to court records.

The job of bringing a frightened group, which included children back to a level of comfort will be difficult.  It will begin Wednesday as the group comes back together at the church to begin the journey.

The question that remains unanswered is a simply one.  Why. 

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

105 West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.