15 Ross Bridge resort guests complain of carbon monoxide poisoni - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

15 Ross Bridge resort guests complain of carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
A total of 15 guests at the Ross Bridge resort complained of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a malfunctioning heater at the hotel. Source: WBRC video A total of 15 guests at the Ross Bridge resort complained of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a malfunctioning heater at the hotel. Source: WBRC video
Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa. Source: WBRC video Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa. Source: WBRC video
HOOVER, AL (WBRC) -

Two floors of the Ross Bridge resort have reopened after 15 guests complained of carbon monoxide poisoning. All of the guests have sought medical treatment. Resort general manager Steve Miller says he's visited 11 of the guests and says they are doing well.

The Hoover Fire Department responded to the Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa around 6:30 a.m. Friday after getting a report of an unconscious person who was having trouble waking up. That person eventually woke up and complained of disorientation.

Hoover firefighters found a family at the resort also complaining of symptoms similar to carbon monoxide poisoning.

A family of four from Florida that checked out of the hotel Wednesday were also contacted and also complained of flu-like symptoms that were likely a result of the carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Hoover Fire Department treated 11 guests on the scene and transported them to Princeton Baptist, UAB and Brookwood hospitals for further treatment and observation.

Fire officials said the fifth and sixth floors at Ross Bridge were affected by carbon monoxide due to a malfunctioning heater. When the heater was deactivated, the symptoms disappeared.

Other areas of the hotel were tested but the problem was contained to only those two floors.

Officials say the fifth and sixth floors have reopened except for the rooms closest to the duct-work connected to the heating.

The hotel's general manager Steve Miller says the problem has been addressed and the faulty piece of equipment has been "locked and tagged out." He said the hotel is now operating as normal.

Hoover Fire Lt. Rusty Lowe says that there are no carbon monoxide detectors at the resort. When it was built, Alabama building codes did not require hotels to install the devices, Lowe said. The code has been modified since the resort was built and new hotels must have the detectors.

Hoover fire officials credited the person who called for help because numerous folks had the same symptoms, a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.

A resort spokesperson says that management will meet Monday, April 1 to discuss Friday's situation.

Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.