Tyler family seeking help after home damaged in fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Tyler family seeking help after home damaged in fire


A Tyler family who lost nearly all their belongings in a house fire on Wednesday is turning to the public for help. The fire began in a duplex in the 300 block of Saunders Street just a few miles from downtown Tyler early Wednesday morning.

Laura Montoya, her husband Tony and their seven-month-old Isabella were awakened by their dogs and someone pounding on the door yelling "fire."

"I grabbed my daughter and a blanket, no shoes or anything, got out and ran out. My husband was trying to put shorts on and we got out. We got our dogs out and we forgot about our bird so he didn't make it, but we got out. By the time I ran to the front it was all lit up really high," Laura explained.

Laura said her husband tried a garden hose but the fire was too hot. She said the ceiling collapsed on her baby supplies and almost everything is ruined.

 Co-workers, family and friends have helped out with gift cards.

"It means so much to us. They still continue to help us as much as they can. I mean we've lost quite a bit of the baby thing, that's the main thing we lost. We're still continuing to go through things and seeing what can be saved and what can't be saved," Laura said.

They have a place to stay for now but need to find somewhere to call home.

Fire investigators say the fire began in the other half of the duplex. The power had been disconnected to that side and investigators suspect a candle started the fire. One firefighter was injured at the scene, but was treated and released from a local hospital.

If you want to help out the Montoya family, there is an account set up at Altra Credit Union in Tyler.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly