The Tyler Fire Department contained a two-alarm fire at Hollyview Apartments in South Tyler on Wednesday
Five engines and one ladder company, along with a district chief and an investigator responded to the complex, which is in the 7100 block of Waljim Drive. One person was treated by EMS for possible smoke inhalation.
According to Tyler Fire Marshal Paul Findley, the fire was contained to one apartment unit and actual flame damage was contained to a bathroom.
A resident says a candle caused the fire. The resident tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, but was unable to get it under control.
"They were able to ask neighbors to call 911 and we had a good response time. First arriving fire truck knocked it down and got a control time on the fire within just minutes," said James Suggs with the Tyler Fire Marshal's office.
Neighbors like Army National Guard member Crys Pringle rushed into the apartment to help put out the blaze with fire extinguishers before firefighters arrived.
"I ran in with a fire extinguisher and go in there and put everything out," Pringle said. "I see it blaze back up so I put it out again. I run back in there and put it out again. I didn't know if she had a dog or a baby or something like that. In the military, you know, they just teach us you do the best you can, so I went in there, put it out, made sure she was ok, and once she was ok, then we just waited for the fire department to get here."
The occupants of the apartment unit were the only tenants displaced.
Monday, May 20 2013 9:11 AM EDT2013-05-20 13:11:23 GMT
DPS officials confirm that one person is dead following an accident involving a motorcycle and an 18-wheeler .Authorities say the accident happened near the intersection of County Road 2142 and County RoadMore >>
DPS officials confirm that one person is dead following an accident involving a motorcycle and an 18-wheeler.More >>