- Unsweetened (melting) chocolate- 8 ounces
- Sweetened (melting) chocolate-4 ounces
- All purpose shortening-1.6 ounces
- Sugar- 6lbs 5 ounces
- Sunny Tex flour- 6.5 ounces (found in specialty grocery stores or online) treated, high gluten flour--used for making things sticky and "puff")
- Egg whites-1lb 15.5 ounces
- Dark vanilla-1 ounce
- Pecan pieces-5lbs 2 ounces
- Xanthan gum- .5 ounce (found in specialty grocery stores or online) thickening agent-gluten free.)
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add egg whites, mixing well by hand, then place on the burners in a pan of water and heat until sugar and chocolate is melted (double boiler system).
- Stir and let cook till a skin forms on top, which also means 120 degrees. to 150 degrees
- Remove from heat and add pecans, vanilla and xanthan gum (only after cooking, do you add xanthan gum!).
- "Drop" mix quickly onto pan using 1oz scoop-drop while warm, you have to keep stirring up from the bottom until all are "dropped on pan, because pecans will rise and leave liquid in bottom of bowl. if not done like this you will not produce the correct cookie, due to no pecans in the bottom.
- If mix is allowed to cool before depositing or after, the cookies will not spread in the oven and will have golf ball look.
Do not cover and do not pull off fire too early so that it cools and chocolate solidifies.
Your finished product will have a spread cracked look. The egg whites are what causes the cookie to crack on top, leaving the moist "gooey" center to sink your teeth into.