When Kenneth Moore pulled up to his business, he saw smoke billowing out from the windows and doors.
Moore said his in-laws opened M&M Music Store in the 1970s.
"It's kind of sad to see it go like this," Kenneth said.
The fire started around 11 a.m. on Thursday at 1114 West Bow Street. Deputy Fire Marshal James Suggs said the heavy smoke made it even more difficult for firefighters to do their job.
"We had to make this primarily a defensive fire for our first attack because of this intense smoke," Suggs said.
crews battled flames inside, the Moore family watched from across the
street. Jeanette Moore said she remembers when her mother opened the
"She opened this up back in the 70's and I worked
here with her since I was a kid, and it's been in our family ever since
that time," Jeanette said.
Then, about five years ago, Jeanette's husband Kenneth took over.
urban, rap, R&B, whatever you want, we go it. We were catching
people from the east coast to the west cost," Kenneth said.
He said he has put thousands into the store and had to drop his insurance about a year ago.
"It hurts to drop that and then turn around and catch a beating like this," Kenneth said.
have to go through there himself with his family. There's no insurance
funds to cover the removal of all of this debris and he'll have to
inventory what remains, but everything is destroyed," Suggs said.
hopes once the smoke clears he will be able salvage some of his
inventory and with the help of family and friends open the doors to this
business once again.
"It'll be back, it'll be back. It might take a while, but it will be back," Kenneth said.
Suggs believe the source of the fire is the central air unit.
Wednesday, June 19 2013 5:14 PM EDT2013-06-19 21:14:11 GMT
National Beef Packing Co., a Liberal, Kan., establishment, is recalling approximately 22,737 pounds of raw ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The problem was discoveredMore >>
National Beef Packing Company - a Liberal, KS, establishment - is recalling approximately 22,737 pounds of raw ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 10:54 PM EDT2013-06-20 02:54:27 GMT
Warner Bros., creator of the new Superman movie "Man of Steel", invited pastors to early screenings of the film and even handed out a sermon for them to use titled "Jesus:The Original Superhero." TimMore >>
Warner Bros., the creator of the new Superman movie, invited pastors to early screenings of the film and handed out a sermon for them to use. More >>
Bob and Barbara Schmidt dashed to their home on a dirt road in a heavily wooded area northeast of Colorado Springs as smoke from what would become the most destructive wildfire in Colorado history filled the air.More >>
A new wildfire in the foothills southwest of Denver forced the evacuation of dozens of homes Wednesday as hot and windy conditions in the West made it easy for fires to start and spread.More >>