Tuesday, March 5 2013 8:29 PM EST2013-03-06 01:29:52 GMT
A JJs restaurant hostess said she thought she was going to die when an explosion rocked her restaurant Tuesday night, and she is frantic with fear for a missing friend."I thought I was going to die. Honestly,More >>
A JJ's restaurant hostess said she thought she was going to die when an explosion rocked her restaurant Tuesday night, and she is frantic with fear for a missing friend and co-worker. More >>
KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -
A Kansas City doctor says a Time Warner Cable subcontractor was notified about a gas leak hours before an explosion rocked a popular restaurant on the Country Club Plaza.
The doctor says crews had a lackadaisical attitude about concerns, and that one person was allowed to smoke in the area after receiving complaints about the strong odor of gas.
The explosion tore through the area about 6 p.m. Tuesday. The first report had been made at 1 p.m. to the Heartland Midwest, when they smelled the strong odor, said Dr. John Verstraete.
"We were really upset. They seemed to laugh it off," he said in an interview with KCTV5's Sandra Olivas. "The construction crews working outside. We were like, 'Hey, we smell gas.' . . . They were just, 'Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.'"
He said his employees assumed that subcontractor would have it investigated and notify Missouri Gas Energy.
He said one of the construction workers even was smoking outside, which upset some of the doctor's office employees because of how strong the smell of gas was.
Verstraete of Plaza Physicians Group said Missouri Gas Energy crews finally had come out and tested the air about 5 p.m. He said the crews determined that the natural gas was at a dangerous level and advised immediate evacuation.
"We locked up the doors and tried to get our personal items," he explained. "It was like two minutes and all of a sudden there was this big explosion. It went through you like a sonic wave. You felt it go through your body."
He said glass shattered, and an upper floor wall caved in.
"I know JJs took most of the explosion," he said. "I just hope everyone is OK that was in there."
Everyone made it out of the doctor's office and spa. Outside, they discovered a bystander who had been injured by debris.
The doctor provided aid to his cuts, bruises and scrapes.
"He was shell-shocked," Verstraete said.
His two dogs were inside the office at 906 W. 48th St. when the explosion occurred.
Verstraete's yellow lab Perseus panicked and bolted. The dog was last seen near the Nelson-Atkins Museum. If you see the dog, please call the doctor at 816-756-3526.
He said he is quite concerned about everyone inside JJ's at the time of the explosion. He said he cannot imagine the extent of injuries suffered by those closer to the blast than him and others in his office building.
"This is a terrible ordeal that happened," Verstraete said. "I hope they are OK."
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Friday, May 24 2013 10:21 PM EDT2013-05-25 02:21:23 GMT
From the Tyler Police Department:At approximately 5:20Pm on May 24, 2013, Tyler Police were notified of the motorcycle accident at Grande and Sutherland. The driver of a black Ford F-150 was heading east onMore >>
Rider was not wearing a helmet when she collided with a truck.More >>
Saturday, May 25 2013 9:18 AM EDT2013-05-25 13:18:01 GMT
Cherokee County authorities are investigating a fatal house fire Friday night. It happened just before 7:30 on County Road 3302 outside of Jacksonville. The Jacksonville Fire Department, Cherokee CountyMore >>
Happened just outside of Jacksonville on Friday night.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 9:59 PM EDT2013-05-25 01:59:21 GMT
A Tyler ISD bus driver was arrested Friday afternoon on drug charges.Ronald Gain, 44, of Tyler, was arrested by the Tyler Police Department on one charge of possession of a controlled substance. TylerMore >>
Has worked for the district since August of 2012.More >>