Additional counselors at Price Middle School after shooting - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Additional counselors at Price Middle School after shooting

Victim Telvis Douglas Victim Telvis Douglas
Atlanta police cruisers, ambulances surround Price Middle School Atlanta police cruisers, ambulances surround Price Middle School

Atlanta Public Schools has 15 crisis team members and additional counselors assigned to Price Middle School following Thursday's shooting.

Area police chiefs also plan to meet at the State Capitol Friday afternoon to discuss gun violence.

Telvis Douglas, 14, was shot at about 1:50 p.m. outside the school, which is located in the 1600 block of Benjamin Weldon Bickers Drive.

Douglas was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. School officials confirmed that he was shot in the back of the neck and received a soft tissue injury. Douglas' family said he was released from the hospital Thursday night.

The second victim, a paraprofessional, was treated for minor injuries at the scene. Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis said it was likely that she was trampled after shots were fired.

Stephen Alford, a spokesman for Atlanta Public Schools, confirmed that the suspect in the shooting was another Price Middle School student.  Police said it appears the shooting was over a previous disagreement between the two boys.

During a news conference that was held early Thursday evening, Davis said that a school resource officer, who Atlanta police Chief George Turner confirmed to be an off-duty armed Atlanta police officer, was able to get the gun away from the suspect shortly after they fired multiple shots.

He said the school went into what's called a "hard lockdown" where no one is allowed to enter or leave the building. The parents were notified by robo-call. Davis admitted some parents might not have had information as quickly as they would have liked, but it was about the safety of the students.

A crowd of parents gathered at the end of the street from the school and voiced frustration about not knowing more about what happened. They grew especially frustrated when they were told their children would be released at dismissal time, and did not leave the school for another hour. The school district said the students were receiving counseling and officers were making sure everyone was safe.

When asked during the news conference about how the suspect was able to get the gun on campus, Davis said that the school did have metal detectors, and police were investigating.

No other students at the school were injured in the shooting.

The suspect's name was not released because of his age.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly