Bronx woman indicted for fraudulent Newtown fundraising scheme - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Bronx woman indicted for fraudulent Newtown fundraising scheme

Posted: Updated:
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

A federal grand jury has indicted a New York woman, who is accused of scamming the victims of the Newtown school shooting.

Nouel Alba, 37, of the Bronx, was charged with lying to a federal agent in connection with holding a fraudulent fundraiser for the Newtown victims Dec. 27.

On Dec. 14, Adam Lanza shot and killed his mother at their home, then went to Sandy Hook Elementary School and killed 26 children and adults.

Alba set up a funeral fund for the victims of the shooting on her Facebook page Dec. 15, according to court documents. She claimed to be Victorian Glam Fairys and said she was an aunt of one of the children who attended Sandy Hook Elementary School, federal authorities said.

Over the next few days, Alba was contacted by people on her Facebook page asking for more information and ways to help, federal authorities said. Court documents stated that she provided her personal PayPal account and information on her Chase Bank account.

According to court documents, Alba said she entered the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School and had to identify her nephew. She added that she provided pictures to the police to help with the identification process.

Police told Eyewitness News that no one ever had to enter Sandy Hook Elementary School because it was still an active crime scene.

Through texts, Alba claimed to have met Pres. Barack Obama when he visited Newtown that Sunday for an interfaith vigil.

"He met with us hugged us even cryd with us," she is accused of previously writing on her Facebook page.

However, when Alba received a donation, she refunded the money a few days later, even though the donator didn't ask for it.

Alba faces a maximum of five years in prison and a fine up to $250,000.

"Investigators continue to monitor the Internet to uncover other fundraising scams arising from this tragedy, and any individuals who attempt to profit through these schemes will be prosecuted," said United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut David B. Fein in a statement Tuesday.

The case remains under investigation by Federal Bureau of Investigation as well as the office of the United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

105 West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.