A 16-year-old boy was able to save his younger sister from their burning home, but sadly his mother did not survive.
Van Zandt County fire marshal Chuck Allen says a space heater caught fire inside their mobile home in Fruitvale, TX, off of County Road 1129.
A pile of burned debris is all that's left of the family's home.
"Yesterday, I was here and there was a house here. Today, I'm here and there's not a house here and my family is gone too. It's just ... It's crazy," says Allen Wheler, a cousin of the victims.
There were five people inside when the mobile home caught on fire: a mother, her son and two daughters and a family friend.
"This was a preventable incident and hopefully some people will take this warning and learn from it and learn from this tragedy," says Allen.
Allen says once the 16-year-old boy realized his mother and 14-year-old sister could not get out of the home, he went outside, broke a window and pulled his sister to safety. The fire marshal says when the boy returned to save his mother, the smoke and heat were too much for him to handle.
"This 16-year-old boy is a true hero. He was able to pull his sister out of this burning house and in talking to him there's no doubt he gave it his all trying to get his mother out and I know he will live with that forever," Allen says.
Family members have already set up a memorial for 41-year-old Wendy Harris. Her cross says ‘fly high' because today her family says Wendy went to be with her husband.
"Three months ago today they lost their dad and then today they lose their mom and their house, it's like what else can you throw at these kids, you know?" Wheler asks.
Family members are now digging through the debris.
"We just thought if we could come up here and salvage a few things because they don't have anything left," says Donna Taylor, a relative of the family.
So far, family members have salvaged the Harris' wedding license and some family photos, photos they hope will help ease their loss.
The 14-year-old girl is being treated at Parkland Hospital in Dallas for burns and smoke inhalation.
Family members say doctors expect the girl to make a full recovery.
The 16-year-old boy was treated for cuts on his hands from breaking the window.
The family says donations can be dropped off at Fruitvale High School.
Wednesday, June 19 2013 5:14 PM EDT2013-06-19 21:14:11 GMT
National Beef Packing Co., a Liberal, Kan., establishment, is recalling approximately 22,737 pounds of raw ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The problem was discoveredMore >>
National Beef Packing Company - a Liberal, KS, establishment - is recalling approximately 22,737 pounds of raw ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 10:54 PM EDT2013-06-20 02:54:27 GMT
Warner Bros., creator of the new Superman movie "Man of Steel", invited pastors to early screenings of the film and even handed out a sermon for them to use titled "Jesus:The Original Superhero." TimMore >>
Warner Bros., the creator of the new Superman movie, invited pastors to early screenings of the film and handed out a sermon for them to use. More >>
Bob and Barbara Schmidt dashed to their home on a dirt road in a heavily wooded area northeast of Colorado Springs as smoke from what would become the most destructive wildfire in Colorado history filled the air.More >>
A new wildfire in the foothills southwest of Denver forced the evacuation of dozens of homes Wednesday as hot and windy conditions in the West made it easy for fires to start and spread.More >>