Early morning fire leaves Lufkin family homeless, kills dog - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Early morning fire leaves Lufkin family homeless, kills dog

Posted: Updated:
LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) -

A Lufkin family of eight is left homeless after their four bedroom house was destroyed in a fire. Neighbors said the entire house on the 100 block of Forest Park was engulfed in flames this morning within five minutes.

A Lufkin family of eight is left homeless after their four bedroom house was destroyed in a fire. Neighbors say within five minutes the entire house on the 100 block of Forest Park was in flames this morning.

The family doesn't have insurance but East Texas News found out how a Lufkin couple provided the family with several resources.

Imagine waking up to a fire, but not to the sounds of a smoke alarm. That's exactly what happened to a Lufkin woman Wednesday morning just before 5 a.m. Fire officials say one single alarm could have possibly saved this house.

"In this case, had the resident had a smoke alarm it would've been more likely she would've been able to identify there was a fire quicker and get the family members out quicker and safer and been able to alert the fire department quicker, so we could've possibly saved more of the premises," Steve McCool, a spokesman for the Lufkin Fire Department, said.

Fortunately, everyone inside the home was able to make it out safely. However, everything the family owned was destroyed. In addition, the family's dog, a Chihuahua, was killed in the blaze.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross have stepped up to help the family.

"We gave her a card with some money on it to help them out with some immediate needs such as coats, shoes, and some clothing items," Dale Slagle, a Red Cross volunteer, said. "They had a little baby, so they can get some baby diapers. We had little back packs that were made up; they were donated by some of the local businesses, and they had pencils, papers, notebooks. We also gave out some little Mickey Mouse toys. The kids really enjoy having something they can hang on to since they've just lost everything that they had."

McCool said this is the time of year when firefighters see an increase in house fires.

"Having a smoke alarm in your home can double your chances of surviving a house fire," McCool said.

A smoke alarm is important to protect your home and life.

Copyright 2012 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.