Fire Forces Evacuation Of Tyler Building - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

7/6/04-Tyler

Fire Forces Evacuation Of Tyler Building

Hundreds of workers were forced to evacuate the Bank of America building in downtown Tyler Tuesday afternoon because of an electrical fire.

Shortly before 3 p.m., authorities say a fire broke out the in the electrical room of the building located at 110 North College Street. Shortly after, power was knocked out to the building and much of surrounding Tyler.

Authorities say the building's back-up generator failed to kick in forcing the more than 400 workers in the building to evacuated in the dark; others were trapped inside elevators.

Firefighters were able to evacuate all those inside and report no injuries.

Officials with TXU say the blaze was more than likely started by some faulty wiring in the building's electrical room.

Power was restored to all of downtown Tyler by Tuesday night.

Chris Gibson, reporting
cgibson@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly