East Texas toddler in Dallas hospital after suffering from burns - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

East Texas toddler in Dallas hospital after suffering from burns

Patrick Long, Jr. Patrick Long, Jr.

A Cherokee County child is in a Dallas hospital Monday night after he suffered third-degree burns to his torso, chest, and arms, and his younger sister is in Child Protective Services' custody.

The child's mother, Lupe Long, said she was cleaning the living room late Sunday afternoon when she turned around and her three-year-old son Patrick Long, Jr. wasn't there - he was in his grandfather's room.

"He found a lighter," Long said. "Somehow, somewhere, he found a lighter. And he started his shirt on fire. And he came out of the room crying, Mommy, fire, fire, me fire, help me."

Long says she did everything she could think of to put the fire out.

"I tried pulling the shirt over his head, but it wouldn't come off. And so I just had to pat the fire off," Long said.

Once the fire was out, Long and her father-in-law drove Patrick to the emergency room in Jacksonville, where CPS and the Cherokee County Sheriff's Department began investigating the case.

"We are in the process of interviewing everyone, finding out exactly how this child received these burns," said Shari Pulliam of CPS. "We're looking at neglectful supervision, that's one of the allegations that we're looking at. The three year old child with these horrible burns, we're looking at who was supposed to be supervising the child at that time, were they being neglectful in doing that?"

Patrick was sent to a burn unit in a Dallas hospital, and his nine-month-old sister was sent to a foster home. Authorities say Patrick will join her when he is released from the hospital.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Department and Child Protective Services say this investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly