I've told you for months about the GOP establishment's efforts to control the Republican National Convention... here is more unbelievable proof of how far they are willing to go.
In the state of Maine, it is well documented that 21 of the 24 delegates are strong supporters of Congressman Ron Paul.
Those 21 delegates plan to go to Tampa later this month and cast a vote for Dr. Paul to receive the nomination.
A little over a week ago, 20 of those 21 delegates were told that their credentials were being challenged by Mr. Peter Cianchette (who headed the Romney campaign in Maine).
The grounds for the challenge; that 20 of these 21 delegates were illegally elected to represent Maine.
As a result, the RNC planned to not seat the entire Maine delegation at the RNC in Tampa.
Now, here is where it gets really interesting.
This weekend, the RNC, via Maine Republican Party Chairman Charlie Webster offered a "compromise"... take a look:
1. A majority of the delegates sign a statement agreeing that, if Ron Paul is not on the ballot, they will vote at the Convention for Mitt Romney.
2. Instead of Brent Tweed, Charlie Webster or Paul LePage would serve as the spokesperson for the delegation and announce the votes cast for president. That spokesperson would also handle all media on behalf of the Maine delegation.
3. There will be nothing negative said about Mitt Romney or positive said about Obama (especially to media).
4. The Delegation will be admitted to the Convention, and to all committee assignments, without barrier.
5. The Contest brought by Jan Staples and Peter Cianchette will be withdrawn.
Reality Check has broken down all the details of this, as well as two unrelated efforts to block Gov. Romney from receiving the Republican nomination.
You can read the official response from the Maine delegation to the RNC "Compromise" here: