Lightning sparks house fire - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Lightning sparks house fire

Lightning struck a house in Tyler Wednesday night sparking a small fire and severely damaging the interior of the house.

The one-story house on Palo Pinto drive off of Highway 110 was struck by lightning shortly before 7 p.m. The lightning caused a pipe to burst in the attic and small fire to ignite. A portion of the ceiling caved in shortly after.

The owners of the house were home when this occurred but no one was injured. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames.

Teresita Quibral said this isn't the first time lightning has struck her house. Three years ago, lightning struck the Dish satellite on her roof causing a small attic fire and damaging the interior of her house again.

Quibral said when she heard the lightning strike she knew, from past experience, exactly what the sound was.

"There it was. There was a loud bang and I knew lightning had struck the dish and that's when water started coming out from the vent. Then when the ceiling came down, I looked up and saw the attic was on fire."

Quibral said they will not know the full extent of the damage until insurance adjusters come and examine the house tomorrow.

Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.


Powered by Frankly